Sunday, June 6, 2010

Strawberry Jam




It was a stormy day yesterday - a perfect day for making jam except for the heat. (My house has no air conditioning). My husband and I picked strawberries the day before. We have had an excellent crop this year. Maybe that "vacation" I took last year to weed the strawberries and asparagus, etc. last year paid off.


After several hours of simmering and stirring, the jam is ready for canning. I usually make jam the old fashioned way - without adding pectin- and stirring and simmering until it is the consistency I want.



I filled all my jam jars for Christmas gift giving and also filled a couple of pint jars I will keep for myself. I was going to make fresh biscuits for breakfast this morning but decided to wait for next weekend when the granddaughters are here to help make and eat them with strawberry jam.


No comments:

Post a Comment