Friday, May 28, 2010

GDs in the Garden and the Kitchen


I was off today and the granddaughters were here. I told them next time they came over we would make a rhubarb cake I saw on Gerry's blog.  First they had to pick the rhubarb. The poor stalks had suffered some damage from a giant hail storm last Tuesday.


The stalks were almost as big as they were.


We took the rhubarb inside, cleaned and cut it up and mixed up our yellow cake mix.


Carefully, carefully sprinkle rhubarb on top.


Rhubarb Custard Cake cooled a bit, ready for eating with a dollop of whipped cream on top. We couldn't let the extra whipping cream not used in the cake go to waste.



It's good, grandma!



May I have another piece when I'm finished with this one? Pretty please?


Last night we picked strawberries. They have been picking strawberries from my patch every year since the age of two (they are now both five years old)  so they know to step carefully.


Oh, grandma, here's a really good one!



Look what I found! The perfect strawberry!


Kayla found a handful.


After we ate our fill we still had a large bowl to take inside for breakfast and visions of strawberry shortcake danced in our heads.



Kayla's freshly painted bird house got hung in the tree out front.

No comments:

Post a Comment